- The blog does not endorse (and actively opposes) Greg Abbott. Here is a profile on him.
- Jian Ghomeshis is a horrible person. | GamerGate…
- Damn, Brookings.
- Tragic news out of Washington State last week when the country’s 87th school shooting since Newtown occurred.
- Global inequality led to the Ebola crisis.
- On dehumanization.
- Theo Padnos on life in captivity.
- Mindy Kaling was mistaken for Malala Yousafzai recently. We all mourn.
- Everyone’s favorite group of evil people have released another video starring John Cantlie. The video comes several days after the death of Cantlie’s father from complications following pneumonia.
- All banning abortions bans is safe abortion.
- Examining sexual assault at MIT.
- Inside Tinder’s hookup factory.
- The problem with the Ferguson grand jury leaks.
- The world’s most dangerous public transportation systems for women.
- The US used 1,000 Nazis and then covered it all up.
- Pope Francis is a shining soul, this blog hopes his bodyguards are keeping him safe.
- Some of Bach’s greatest masterpieces were composed by his wife.
- Tim Cook: Gay and proud.
- Want to go to school for free, Americans?
- Modi’s idea of India.
- An Indian man has been arrested under 377, the code that penalizes homosexuality.
- The Afghan roots of Pakistan’s Zarb-e-Azb operation.
- In Helmand province, it’s goodbye to the Brits and Marines.
- An Afghan Mullah who raped a 10 year-old in his care will receive only 20 years in prison.
- In Afghanistan, provincial elections results have been announced after months of delay.
- Pakistan has been ranked second to last in the global gender gap.
- Inspired by the Scots, Kashmiris want a vote.
- Four arrests have been made over the Karachi airport attack.
- KP is rewriting its textbooks.
- The Pakistani Taliban have launched an English language magazine.
Southeast & East Asia:
- In Burma, Muslims are being massacred.
- Asia is the most optimistic part of the world.
- Do Western economists owe Japan an apology?
Europe & Eurasia:
- It is the 25-year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
- Poland has been the strongest supporter of democracy in the Ukraine.
- Israel and Poland remember and rebuild.
- In Russia, it’s essentially the Cold War at the US embassy in Moscow.
- Barcelona’s feminist protest went almost unnoticed by the rest of the Western world.
- In Turkey, Erdogan plays the “Arab” card.
- Hungary is taxing the internet and no one is happy.
- Sweden has recognized Palestine.
Middle East & North Africa:
- Israel‘s reputation is struggling. | Kafr Qasim awaits an apology. | Israel and the US are not doing well. | Al-Aqsa has been reopened.
- Jerusalem is set to explode. | The Palestinian elections are on hold. | And it gets worse.
- Malala’s Nobel prize money will go to rebuilding a school in Gaza.
- The fight for Kobani continues. | The world’s scariest terrorists. | Iraqi Kurdish fighters are headed to Kobani.
- Daesh/ISIS also murder Sunnis.
- Iraqis show their love on bridges.
- In uplifting and not remotely disconcerting news, Egyptian journalists are going to limit critical comments made about the government.
- Crisis in Sinai.
- An Iranian woman was put to death following the killing of a man who attempted to rape her.
- Yemeni Houthis are advancing into Al Qaeda’s stronghold.
- Ennahda, Tunisia‘s formerly ruling Islamist party, is struggling to distance itself from Salafists. Tunisia voted on Sunday. | Despite elections, transitional justice is still elusive. | Nidaa Tounes reigns.
- Democracy in Rwanda? Not so, say many.
- Will protests in Burkina Faso yield term limits for other African leaders?
- Another Zambian leader dies in office.
- UN peacekeepers have freed 67 hostages in the CAR.
- Dilma Roussef narrowly declared victory in Brazil this past week. Can she save the country’s economy?
- Brazil is running out of water.
- There’s a crisis brewing in Mexico.
- Victims of Peru‘s ‘dirty war’ have finally been laid to rest.
- In Bolivia, New Andean architecture is applying new money to old ideas.
- New Jersey quarantined the wrong nurse: Following an unfortunate series of debacles relating to her potential exposure to Ebola, one woman let her state government have it.
- Just your daily dose of homophobia in the Dallas airport…
- The legality of quarantining.
- Ebola bullying is ridiculous and uncalled for.
- An unmanned NASA rocket exploded shortly after takeoff.
- The investigator in the Secret Service prostitution scandal resigned because…prostitution.
- What does racial inequality cost the US?
- LGBTQ candidates in Texas are wonderful.
- USPS has been handing over mail.
- Australia‘s weather is going nuts.
- They’re also paranoid about Ebola.
- And there’s a new brutal counter-terrorism law.